Friday, February 17, 2012

Garden on a windowsill



The January to March period in Britain is pretty dreary, its the dark getting you down as much as anything. Flowers growing on windowsills can make such a difference, and given my growing interest in bulbs, there is huge scope for making the most of light windowsills. We’ve got a nice long south-facing one in the kitchen which is ideal. The classic one is the hyacinth which we always get started in September to try to get them to flower for Christmas. Well, not managed that yet, but some started performing in January. The scent is fantastic and they last for weeks; and there are some good new colors too, like dark purples.
Read more...............

7 comments:

Emma Balch said...

We've also been enjoying fabulous beetroot coloured forced hyacinths on our windowsill. What do I do with them now? Can I plant them in the garden, or are they done?
Emma

Emma Balch
www.emmabalchdesign.blogspot.com

Heidi-Hoe said...

I think I would go mad if I didn't have some plants on the windowsill. It keeps me going during our long winter season! Your plants are lovely!

Sarah Wooller said...

Emma - I always plant out my forced hyacinths - they take a while to recover but they get there.

Gordon Rigg said...

Windows sills are very much under-rated. They're great in a terraced house (upstairs) as a way of brightening up the front of the house.

dony said...

Look so beautiful, i like to have but still don't have enough time to do.

outdoor shed plans

Melissa Jolly said...

I'm just saving some chopped tomato tins to plant some basil in for the windowsill- think a few grouped together will look great. Also got 3 Tillandsias in a wooden pot that look pretty funky and require (get) extremely little attention!

Angela said...

Your plants are beautiful. Thank you for the inspirational posting.